Potions! The word itself conjures spooky, seductive images of bubbling cauldrons and dusty glass vials. Potions are inherently magic; they are by definition “a liquid with healing, magical, or poisonous properties.” While this might sound complex, a potion can be as simple as an herbal tea, tincture, mineral-infused water, or blended beverage made with ingredients you may already own. The most important ingredient in potions is your intention. Potions can also be enhanced by making or consuming them on astrologically potent days. Check out our suggestions below to see how you can make and incorporate potions into your life and rituals. And never be afraid to add a personal twist!
This first potion is for external use only! It can be put in a spray bottle and spritzed around your space, or worn as protective anointment. One of the essential aspects of engaging in witchcraft (or elemental/spiritual/energetic practice) is developing strong, healthy boundaries. When you work with magic, energy, and the spirit world, you open yourself up to infinite possibility. Get clear with your intentions and your limitations—you do not want to invite in negative or destructive energies, or put out too much of your light and energetic resource—always have a clear beginning and end to every ritual.
4 oz. purified or distilled water
4 oz. Witch Hazel
3 drops ethically sourced Pine essential oil or oil infused with Pine
1 pinch of salt (Black or Celtic Sea Salt is great, but any salt will do)
1 crystal (Jet, Obsidian, Onyx, Smoky Quartz or Black Tourmaline)
- Place crystal in a glass bowl or jar and pour 4 oz of water over it. You can use more water if you choose, but be sure to up the ratio of Witch Hazel so it’s 1:1.
- Let it sit for at least 8 hours, preferably in natural (sun or moon) light.
- Strain the water off into a glass jar, bottle, or spray bottle. Add the Witch Hazel, Pine oil, and salt. Stir well, thinking or speaking aloud your intentions.
- Spray or anoint yourself daily, before and after rituals/spellwork, or on a Saturday—the day ruled by Saturn: planet of limitations, boundaries, practicality and reality, work, and crystallization.
Intuition & Psychic Visions
A lovely cup of nourishment, this potion is a perfect pre-meditative or intuitive practice component. This potion can also be used to access the sleep and dream realm, where we journey each night to reconnect to our visioning power. Find that vibration in the waking realm with this delicious, drinkable potion. Lavender relaxes and opens the third eye, helping us to find the voice of our clairvoyance. Nutmeg allows us to realize our psychic abilities. Black pepper stimulates and invokes the properties of Lavender and Nutmeg, and energizes their spiritual connections. Milk brings these elements together and reflects the motherly essence of the moon.
6 oz. of milk/mylk of choice
2 oz. of Lavender tea
1 pinch of Nutmeg
1 pinch of Black pepper
1 pinch of Lavender flowers, dried or fresh
- Make the Lavender tea. It’s easier to make a larger quantity, then measure out 2 oz for this potion, or to make a big batch of the potion! 2 tbsp of dried Lavender should be good for 8 oz of tea. Cover and let steep at least 10 minutes, then strain and compost the flowers.
- Heat the milk of your choice! We recommend Oat, but any will do.
- Combine the tea and milk. Stir well, thinking or speaking aloud your intentions.
- Sprinkle the Black pepper, Nutmeg, and Lavender flowers on top. Sip. Enjoy!
- Drink nightly or on a Monday—the day ruled by the Moon, which connects us to our intuition, emotions, and the collective unconscious.
Opportunity & Abundance
This potion is not for the timid! It’s a hearty, potent brew that embodies all the richness, abundance, and opportunity you want to call forth. To receive abundance, one must first think and act abundantly. If you do not with to use eggs, you may replace them with a spoonful of flaxseed. If you do not wish to imbibe wine, you may replace it with beet juice. Alternately, you can make the potion rather than drink it, place it on your altar during ritual or offer it to your favorite tree or your garden. The eggs yolks symbolize a lush and golden bounty, while the wine symbolizes cheer, good spirits, and a generous harvest. Ginger brings in prosperity as well as being a magical catalyst for good luck.
6 oz of red wine
2 egg yolks
1 tsp of grated, fresh Ginger (powdered works too)
- Crack and separate the yolks from the eggs, place the yolks in a glass.
- Whisk the yolks well, then add the wine.
- Grate or add the ginger. Stir all ingredients together, thinking or speaking aloud your intentions.
- Drink daily or on a Thursday—the day ruled by Jupiter: planet of expansion, luck, and generosity.
Love & Connection
A sweet intention calls for a sweet potion; after all, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar. With this potion though, you’ll attract more desirable beings than flies—we guarantee it!
Love magic is perhaps the most classic and sought after magic there is. When performing a love magic ritual, heed our advice: be specific (and be careful for what or whom you wish). Even if you’ve already found “the one” or aren’t looking, love magic can still be a useful tool to attract compatible friends and partners of all sorts. Rose and Hibiscus are classic love magic herbs that bring true, passionate love. Clove and Cinnamon energize this potion, deepening the intention. Honey is the nectar of the divine and attracts all earthly creatures. Vanilla is a powerful drawing herb and aphrodisiac.
7 oz of strong brewed Rose and Hibiscus tea
1 tbsp of Honey
1 tbsp of Vanilla extract
1 pinch of Cinnamon
1 pinch of Clove
- Brew the Rose and Hibiscus tea by pouring boiling water over the petals (about 1 tbsp for 7 oz), covering, and steeping for at least 7 minutes. Once the tea has cooled off, strain out the petals and compost.
- Add Honey and stir, thinking or speaking aloud your intentions.
- Add Vanilla repeat the process.
- Add pinches of Cinnamon and Clove, then stir, again repeating your intentions.
- Drink daily or on a Friday—the day ruled by Venus: planet of love, beauty, pleasure, and earthly delights.
*Organic, responsibly sourced ingredients are always preferable but do what you can, and use the resources available to you! Remember, the most important ingredient is your intention.