Love is in the air and with it comes the undeniable power of the love spell. Sex, held hands, shared kisses– all of this intimacy creates quite an emotional buzz. In witchcraft, emotions are often the basis for spells and intentions. In the case of love, such a pure notion can bring forth some wonderful energy into the universe, and with that energy, love spell crafting takes on a new and romantic hue.
HISTORY OF THE LOVE SPELL
From ancient times to the modern era, people have tried all sorts of things to snare the one they loved. From Egypt’s Demotic-written spells to the countless potions and rituals found in The Greek Magical Papyri love has driven the hand of many individuals. Hellenistic Greece features a plethora of gods and goddesses based on love and sex. Along with Freya of the Nordic pantheon, Oshun of the Yoruba religion, and countless others spread throughout various cultures. Needless to say, love and sex are prevalent desires within most communities, old and new. Thus, the desire for love spells was born.
WHAT IS A LOVE SPELL?
Now, what exactly constitutes a “love spell”? I would say the most important signifier would be the caster’s intentions. Not all love spells are made equally just as not all love is the same. Platonic love spells to attract new people into your life are just as valid as sensual love spells to inspire some new energy in the bedroom. Even self-love spells sit in the same category as love-based magic.
All love energy is born from the same place; that being the idea of attraction. Manifestation is key to all witchcraft, and love spells are no different. I would say this is the most valuable ingredient to any love spell: confidence and hope.
THE DANGERS OF LOVE SPELLS
When one dives into the world of neopaganism and witchcraft, there comes a certain curiosity toward the art of spell crafting and performing. Young people are drawn to the idea of manipulating others through magical means. These people, though, are often unaware of the consequences of dealing with such powerful wishes.
Love magic is just one of the many art forms borne from witchcraft that draws in many curious minds. The discipline, mental strength, and restraint needed to cast love magic are not well known. Casting a spell is the same as loving someone; you must do so softly and sweetly, with only the purest of intentions. All of this is just to say: do not abuse love spells. You may accidentally hurt someone you care for or yourself.
PARTS OF A LOVE SPELL
Love spell crafting contains many of the same principles as the usual ritual. Below I will list various herbs, colors, and days that may aid with attracting the love your heart desires.
Many claim New Moons are the best to perform love spells under. Any New Moon that happens on a Friday will offer extra potency to any spells thanks to the day’s namesake, Freya, Goddess of Fertility.
There are countless ritual herbs that attract fertility, beauty, and love energies, and some of them are located in your local supermarket! Basil, catnip, coriander, chamomile, dill, hibiscus, iris, jasmine, lavender, mint, orchid, rose (red and pink especially), patchouli, and rosemary are some of the easiest dried love herbs to find. Planting living versions of these plants around your home will also invite loving energy into your life. Oils made from herbs like lavender, mint, rose, patchouli, jasmine, iris, and hibiscus may be used to anoint candles or even as perfumes to help incite romantic or sexual desires. Incense burned containing any of these herbs will bring forth their powers into your workspace.
Red and pink are safe bets when it comes to love magic, but other warm colors like yellow and orange possess similar energies. Burning candles in these colors when practicing love spells will enhance their strength. Wearing these colors will attract anyone’s eye to you if they have similar intentions.
LOVE SPELLS TO TRY
Dandelion Love Letter
The simplest of actions may often hold the most powerful of results. Witchcraft is far more than smoke and divination, it is also about understanding how many of Mother Nature’s creations may be useful to one’s practice. The Dandelion Love Letter spell found in Judika Illes’ “Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells” is an easy and useful ritual.
- During spring, pick a large white dandelion and focus hard on the object of your desire; be it another person, confidence, or anything else. Then, blow on the dried dandelion head to send out your love letter!
Stream of Love Spell
The next spell is of my own creation. As a writer, many of my spells involve a stream-of-consciousness writing exercise. For those who do not know what stream-of-consciousness is, simply put you write everything down that is at the forefront of your mind without caring for how it connects, grammar, or misspellings. This spell can be used to attract love into your life OR to settle an aching heart.
- Cleanse your space however you usually do; this act can be done with smudging, bell ringing, opening the windows, etc.
- Grab a piece of paper and a red-ink pen. Focus entirely on the object of your affection and then begin writing. Do not think too hard about the words themselves, merely the meaning you are trying to get across. Fill the page with all of your emotions, letting them flow out of you. Do not stop writing until you feel everything has drained onto the page.
- Once your letter is complete, either fold it in threes or put it in an envelope.
- Light a red candle and drip the hot wax over the seam to seal your letter. Let the candle burn down.
- At this point, you can stow the letter away somewhere to forget about it. If, one day, you find it again, feel free to read what you have written and relive whatever has inspired such love in your heart.
The final spell is one of self-love. This is another one from my grimoire. Use it whenever you want a boost of self-confidence and feel loved within your skin.
- Run a hot bath. While the tub fills, pack a tea bag with dried lavender, jasmine, Himalayan pink salt, and eucalyptus. Place this bag into the tub to steep.
- Sprinkle more pink salt and rose petals in the bath itself. NOTE: make sure your rose petals are safe to bathe with (avoid store-bought fresh roses if you can, if not, clean them well before use).
- Light pink and yellow candles and place them somewhere safe in the bathroom. If you want, play your favorite playlist.
- Relax in the tub for as long as you like and imagine the water becoming healing energy. Let it inspire you with confidence and self-love and drain all of the doubt in your body out of you.
- When you pull the plug, imagine all of the darkness sucked out of you swirling down the drain. Clean the tub well afterward.