With the frost and winter solstice comes a time of inner reflection and intention. As we inch towards a new year, it is imperative to cleanse the space and your body. In Santería, spiritual cleansing is one of the most powerful tools of protection used for everyday rituals. While every Santero has their own additions and rituals, most have basic guidelines that should be followed for success. These baños are used to calm the spirit and emotions and clear chaotic energies. This Baño should be used for 3 days straight for the most effectiveness. It is for good luck, clearing negative thoughts and energym and to bring sweetness and abundance to your life.
Ingredients for one:
One bunch of fresh Parsley (Perejil)
One bunch of fresh Rosemary (Romero)
One bunch of fresh Rue (Ruda)
Three cinnamon sticks
One bottle of Agua De Florida
1-2 gallons Spring or River Water (if not purchase distilled water)
one bouquet of white flowers of your choice
Support your local Botanicas, Farmers Markets and stop by and visit us!
- For most effectiveness prepare during full or new moon depending on your intention. If not, make sure to start your ritual on a Tuesday!
- In a large pot put your Spring or River Water and set your pot to medium or high heat. Add fresh herbs (Parsely, Rosemary and Rue) and cinnamon and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally and while whispering or chanting your intentions into it. After 3 hours have passed, let the mixture cool and separate evenly into 3 containers that leave some room for additions. Leave in the fridge or freezer until ready for use! It is ideal to start this bath only at night so that your energy stays clear of anyone else not in your immediate circle.
- When beginning your ritual Baño, you will add 6 white flowers and 6 dashes of Agua de Florida to each third of your baño before use each time. Next, you will take a shower as normal and take the following steps.
- After normal cleansing in the shower, retrieve one-third of your bath concentrate (prepared with Agua de Florida and flowers) on yourself. There should be room in the jar or container to add some warm water from the shower so that it’s not just cold or room temperature as it hits your body.
- Once the warm water is added, close your eyes and set your intentions and slowly begin pouring the baño all over from the shoulder down. Ask your spirits, ancestors, Santos, orishas, guardians, familiars, etc for protection and what you would like for the new year. The more specific you can be, the better!
- Once you step out of the shower, do not rub remaining flowers or herbs off your skin, only pat dry. The flowers and herbs must naturally fall off you which is symbolic of any negative energy falling off of you.
- After normal cleansing in the shower, retrieve one-third of your bath concentrate prepared with Agua de Florida and flowers. Start a bath and light some candles if you desire.
Once your bath is finished, add some warm bath water to the container, stand up and slowly begin pouring the baño all over from the shoulder down and ask your spirits, ancestors, Santos, orishas, guardians, familiars, etc for protection and what you would like for the new year. The more specific you can be the better!
Once you step out, do not rub remaining flowers or herbs off your skin, only pat dry. The flowers and herbs must naturally fall off you which is symbolic of any negative energy falling off of you.
I strongly recommend if living in a house with your partner or family that all take part in the Baño so that the negative energy does not simply get bounced around from one body, room, or space to the other. Cleansing your home and space with local herbs based off intention or cleansing woods is also excellent in combination with this Baño.
May all your good intentions, and goals come to fruition and may all who wish you harm be met with their due. Asê!
For any other questions feel free to stop by or pay me a visit at The Alchemist Kitchen!